Band use in clubs

Posted 5 months ago by Michal Ashby

Post a topic
M
Michal Ashby

Purchased the Maestro DMX for a band. We have used it for a couple of club shows and just wanted to toss out a couple of thoughts with how it went. 

1. RCA inputs are a weak point. While they may be great for a DJ setup. Most clubs expect XLR or 1/4 options. Prepare to have an adapter with you. Using RCA is less trustworthy with cables potentially being walked over or tripped on. There is no locking mechanism. Plus basically it takes away from the feel that this is a professional quality device.  
  2. Locking in scenes. Having the ability to review a songs programming and lock it in for songs so you get a consistent output would be awesome. This far things seem calculated every time and there is a lack of consistency in the output. While you can define the higher level variables, the results are still pretty randomized within those boundaries. 
  3. Somewhat related, but a bit more specific... Having the ability to inject specific sequences at recognized points of a song would be amazing. For example there is a point in one zone where a single illumination chasing across various pars would be amazing.  A time based method would work, but could be an issue if timing is off. The algorithm being able to recognize that specific point in the song and reference a user defined sequence would take this up another level. 

Overall it has been a solid device and the resulting light show has been decent, but it hasn't got the "locked in" feel of a programmed light show... Yet. 

2 Votes

2 Comments

Sorted by
M

Michal Ashby posted 4 months ago

I haven't found much function to the tiers beyond just being able to define them as classes.  I don't think there is a priority or programmatic element to the tiers. For example, if you have a group of lights you want to blackout at the end of a song, add them to the same tier and another group that you do not want to blackout, add them to a different tier. 

Use the tiers as a class to keep comment functions grouped. 

0 Votes

B

Bob Ivey posted 4 months ago

I am about to start using my maestro for our band this week. I am kind of uncertain about what fixtures to use in the primary or secondary selections etc. I have a 15ft long truss with 12 slimpar 64’s on it. I plan to use some more slimpars for front white lighting. A couple moving heads and a few other miscellaneous fixtures that move. Is it all trial and error?

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment