Moving heads movement

Posted 4 months ago by Mihai Constantinescu

Post a topic
M
Mihai Constantinescu

The motion of the moving heads (mvs) should be less random. Especially if you have more than 2 mvs, it looks as they just move randomly, without any connection between them. A good light show always has moving heads following some kind of shape, they can be symmetrical (for ex. If you have 4, mirrror them 2 and 2 and do same thing, but opposed), or in line, all of them follow a line, curve, an s, waves, or some more intricate pattern. I have 6 and plan to use more, but they just feel as I put them on internal auto and left them be. 

What I'm trying to convey is there needs to feel some kind of order and intent in movement of the whole mvs, not just "random movements without any coherent pattern in the group"

I will attach a YouTube link with a demo of what I would want the mvs to mimic. Of course that is a proffesional at work, but implementing a more grouped movement for the mvs would be much better instead of the random movement now. 

https://youtu.be/9_v-Rm5cxf8

0 Votes

4 Comments

Sorted by
T

Technical Support posted 4 months ago Admin

The motions should be symmetrical.  Again, please look into your stage layout:  if they are not moving symmetrically, this has something to do with how your stage is setup.  Check out the layout of your stage, solo each fixture, and make sure they're in a line, one after the other.

Same goes for the chases:  they will almost always be symmetrical if your stage layout is symmetrical.  Lack of symmetry in the effects speaks to an issue with the setup.

Maybe random means something different to you than it does to me.  Currently the motion is done with oscillations, which is a very different type of signal from a random signal.

We're definitely going to add more typed of movements, simple motions like shown in the video.  Appreciate your feedback!

- G

1 Votes

M

Mihai Constantinescu posted 4 months ago

Thank you for not taking my coment the wrong way. I am loving maestroDMX and want to make it better, not throw shade on your work. I have been using the controller for a few shows now and it feels to me the movements of the moving heads are not perceived as a pack, as opposed to what a human light engineer would do on their devices. 

They usually employ a lot of tricks, like all moving heads following the same linear movement, line, rectangles, circles, or whatever else basic figure or pattern of movement at the same time or with a slight (or more) offset; doing a movement with heads 1,3,5,7 and reversed with heads 2,4,6,8, or right half does a movement (1,2,3,4, to stay in the same example) and 5,6,7,8, move mirrored, etc. What I basically was trying to say is that if you can make the moving heads move more coherent as a group, not just individually would be much more awsome. Symmetry in motion with the moving heads is what it gives them the quality, especially when more are involved. 

I think that is the gist of my comment, if I could sum it up in a few lines.

- when the number of moving heads is bigger than 2, they need to move together, in  symmetrical fashion, be it all the same, mirrored, interleaved, following a motion pattern with and without an offset to not be perceived as a slight anarchic movement.

- especially for moving heads, imho, you need to program simple and more complex motion patterns which can be employed according to the level of activity or energy of the chosen program, because that is what makes them enjoyable, again, imho.

Thank you 

0 Votes

T

After speaking with the team, we are talking about adding motions that go to a specific spot and stop, then move to another place and stop.  Which I think is what you are really saying.

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Votes

T

Sorry, but it is simply not true.  The movements are not random.

Most of the motion in the maestro comes from audio-responsive oscillators, sometimes of them offset by phases, sometimes mirrored, and sometimes moving in mirrored unison.

It sounds like maybe there is an issue with your profiles or how you have set up the system.    And please, be sure your "layout" is mirrored also.

Please attend office hours if you need support.  If the motion doesn't look coordinated, that speaks to an error with your setup.

- G

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment