Need gain LED in app badly

Posted 10 months ago by Wes Garland

Post a topic
Wes Garland
Wes Garland

I deployed Maestro on a live band last night.  The club uses an X32-Rack, so I plugged into the RCA outs, routed a matrix to them and sent the main LR bus to the matrix so that I could have independent level control.

Here's where it gets interesting: there is no way in heck I could monitor levels to ensure I had green light while the band was playing. None.  I would have had to have a 50' RCA cable to get Maestro close enough to me to see its LED.  So I just guessed at a level, which might explain why it just decided to turn off for a few seconds in the middle of songs.

Maestro seems to perform best when the yellow is just flickering, but that can't be just "set it and forget it" with live bands. If there was an app screen that showed the input level on a line graph, maybe on the same screen that shows the kick detection, that would be great.

I'm suggesting a line graph because I think the historical view is more important than trying to sync with the LED, which will always be a little behind due to latency anyhow.   Maybe you could pick the kick detection on this graph also?

This is really important because RCA outs aren't that common in the pro audio world, I'm surprised the X32 has any (and it only has one stereo pair).  The usual way I expect to drive Maestro is from a headphone out on the desk, which will make it even easier to overdrive the inputs.

0 Votes

3 Comments

Sorted by
T

Technical Support posted 9 months ago Admin

The audio input for Maestro is consumer level audio, rather than pro-line level.

Some users have solved this by adding another in-line attenuator such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TBMP54X

Apologies for the inconvenience, and hope this helps.

Gabby

0 Votes

A

Aaron Reale posted 9 months ago

Send to an aux, compress the signal and then set up a dedicated matrix on the audio out to Maestro. Once dialed in, it works great.

0 Votes

D

Dan Fulton posted 9 months ago

I run with a live band too

if you go under settings and audio you can  monitor the input level there from your computer or tablet

i have also noticed with running live music it would be better to run a seperate monitor mix since vocal levels can be louder in the mix sometimes due to stage volume

so you could run a monitor mix just for the lights and i would put a limiter on it also to help keep you in the sweet spot

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment